Our last post focused on the difficulties faced when a sponge left inside the victim remains undetected. You may recall that such a mistake can lead to a worsened condition for the patient, often causing permanent damage and serious injuries. Many times, these patients decide to take legal action in order to receive compensation for a surgical error which has resulted in additional medical bills, lost income and a reduced enjoyment of life in general.
A man and his wife have filed a lawsuit, claiming that he was forced to undergo a second operation in order to remove a surgical sponge. The hospital says that the claims are for medical conditions unrelated to the problem. Furthermore, the hospital says it acknowledged the mistake, made a compensatory payment and even gave the man a discount on his medical bill.
The surgery, which was done to repair a hernia, was performed in 2010 and it was unknown how long the sponge sat in the man's body till its discovery. The complications from the sponge included bowel obstruction, infection, pain in the neck and back and even heart palpitations. The wife is suing the hospital for the impact the mistake has had on her relationship with her husband.
It is a well-documented fact that objects left inside the body, especially sponges, can cause a number of additional medical issues, and in some cases, has even led to a patient's death. Such complications can cause patients additional pain and suffering as they try to find out what is causing their illness or pain. Seeking compensation in a civil court can provide financial relief and people who have found themselves the victim of a negligent operating room staff may want to consider consulting an attorney.
Source: Stamford Advocate, "Man claims hospital botched surgery," Amanda Cuda, March 11, 2013